The business today is steeped in history which extends over 100 year of Tasmanian families putting their trust in our brand and philosophy.
- The business begins in 1901 with Charles Thompson Finney apprenticed to David Storrer, whose profession was a furniture supplier and undertaker.
- Another of David Storrer apprentices was David Armitage and in 1905 Mr Storrer gave the undertaking business to Charles Finney and David Armitage.
- The business became Finney & Armitage in 1912 and operated from St Johns Street Launceston
- On the 1st December 1921 Mr Armitage died quite suddenly while on duty at a funeral at Frankford.
- Charles Finney takes on the business with his wife and three sons, John, Kenneth and Geoffrey.
- In 1931 C. T. Finney & Sons moved to Brisbane Street and horseless hearses are introduced. These premises had an extensive coffin and joinery factory at the rear, backing onto Cameron Street.
- Following Charles’ death in 1961, the management of the business was continued by his sons.
- In 1962 a memorial chapel is built on Cameron Street, one of the first in the state.
- In 1976 Kenneth Finney buys out his brothers and continues to run the business.
- In 1985 Kenneth Finney was joined by Andrew and in the late 1980s the C.T. Finney Centre was established on this site, land originally occupied by the company’s monumental works
- The C.T Finney Centre at Nunamina Avenue, outside the gates of Carr Villa Cemetery was opened in 1990 and was the first of its kind within Tasmania.
- In the mid 1990s Kenneth’s son, Robert also joined the family firm.
- In 2005 the Finney crematorium, "Franklin Grove" was opened on the outskirts of Youngtown.
- In 2012, The Graham Family purchase Finney Funeral Services. The Graham Family are the largest provider of funeral services in Tasmania and an industry leader. The business is now owned and operated by Mark Graham, Managing Director.
- In 2017 Mark Graham builds an industry leading Funeral Centre at Franklin Grove. It is the first of its kind in Tasmania. The new venue is opened by the hon. Peter Gutwein MP Treasurer of Tasmania on the 1st of December 2017. Formal recognition comes from nationally from the Allan Piddington the National President of the Australian Funeral Directors Association. The new Funeral Centre is nominated for architectural and building awards.