How is my loved one cared for whilst in the hands of Finney Funeral Services?

Finney’s staff will treat every person in their care with great respect. They are treated as if the family were present at all times.

What clothing should I provide for my loved one?

The decision of the type of clothing you may like to see your loved one dressed in can be based on a lot of different factors. What did they like to wear? Was there an item that was a favourite? What were they comfortable in? Should I bring underwear and shoes? Our Funeral Directors can guide you with this information.

At Finney’s, if the family choose not to provide clothing we will use an appropriate shroud.

What is the difference between a coffin and a casket?

The difference between coffins and caskets is essentially one of design. Coffins are tapered at the head and foot and wide at the shoulders. Caskets are rectangular in shape and are usually constructed of high-quality timbers and feature a high standard of craftsmanship.

The decision to select a coffin or casket is made by the family of the deceased according to their personal/financial preferences. Many people regard the coffin or casket as an important tribute to the deceased and select these with care.

During cremation, what happens to the coffin or casket?

At Finney’s, the only thing removed from the coffin or casket prior to a cremation is the nameplate. This stays with the remains to ensure correct identification whilst at the crematorium. The coffin and its hardware are cremated entirely.

What happens with jewellery?

It is the family’s choice whether jewellery items are removed as a keepsake or left with their loved one. If cremation is chosen and the choice is made to leave jewellery on your loved one, given its soft compound, it will disintegrate in the cremation process.

Is embalming necessary and who carries this out?

Embalming may be required if the deceased is to be transferred overseas or interstate, placed into an aboveground vault, or if there is going to be a considerable delay before a funeral can be held. Our Funeral Director will advise you of this process if it is needed.

Our policy at Finney Funeral Services is to prepare every person irrespective of whether a viewing is being undertaken by the family or not. Should the circumstances warrant it, we do have the facilities to undertake complete embalming, which is carried out by our qualified staff who are members of the Australian Institute of Embalming. This ensures that the highest standards of care for your loved one are strictly maintained.

Should young children attend funerals?

There are no set guidelines. Generally, children, in the company of their parents and other family members, are comfortable participating in this family occasion and may even be curious. Use the funeral to help the child learn about the impact of death and the rituals we use to help us respond to bereavement. Children can often contribute creatively to a funeral, perhaps by placing a special flower on the coffin or casket, or reading or writing something that can be incorporated into the service.

How soon after a cremation are the ashes available?

Ashes are usually available within a day after cremation. However, special arrangements can be made for the ashes to be collected on the same day as the cremation if requested.

What is the difference between a public and a private funeral?

A public funeral service is announced in the press and anyone is welcome to attend.

A private service is only open to people who are invited by the family. A press announcement is often made after the service.

What is the difference between a traditional and a lawn type grave?

A traditional grave is one that has granite monumental work and kerbing over the top of the grave site. A lawn grave cannot be enclosed with kerbing and is located within a grassed area with a headstone or bronze plaque placed at the head of the grave.

When is the Death Certificate issued?

It may take up to three weeks for the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages to process the information and send the Death Certificate. In some cases, such as coronial inquiries, it can take longer. A certificate is not automatically issued, and your funeral director can apply for this on your behalf. Alternatively, you can apply directly with Service Tasmania. If required, a ‘Priority Certificate’ can be requested from Service Tasmania, which will incur a charge, but means that the certificate will be provided within 24 hours.

Is money ‘frozen’ after someone dies?

Bank accounts in joint names should not be affected by the death of one of the owners. Accounts held solely by the deceased may still be able to be accessed, and presentation of a funeral account is often all that is required to release funeral funds to pay for the funeral out of the deceased person’s estate.